What We Do
The Laguna de Santa Rosa Foundation works to restore and conserve the Laguna de Santa Rosa, and to inspire public appreciation for this Sonoma County Wetland of International Importance.
For 25 years, the Laguna Foundation has been the voice for Sonoma County’s most spectacular land and water asset - The Laguna de Santa Rosa.
Working closely with our partners and collaborators on conservation, restoration and education programs, we focus our efforts to:
- Collaborate with landowners, government agencies, businesses and the agricultural community to improve water quality and groundwater resources for all.
- Protect threatened and endangered plants and animals by restoring habitat.
- Attract ground-breaking scientific research to the Laguna watershed.
- Bring together technical experts, land managers and policymakers to create effective climate adaptation strategies that preserve natural resources, biodiversity, and ecosystem services.
- Remove invasive species including water primrose, pepperweed, Harding grass and pennyroyal.
- Educate and inspire people of all ages to appreciate the Laguna through school programs, workshops, and volunteer opportunities.
Our 5-Year Strategic Plan
To ensure a healthy and thriving Laguna for decades and generations to come requires long-term planning and collaborative action. We’re excited to present our first 5-year Strategic Plan, 2017-2021! After dozens of meetings over several years with stakeholders, partners, staff, board and volunteers, we can now share our collective goals for the next five years.
Click here to read more.
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Laguna Stewards Workday
Saturday, May 13, 9am-Noon
Join us for the last workday of the season! Help care for the Laguna and restore critical wildlife habitat - become a Laguna Steward! Tasks will depend on the weather but may include planting native plants and trees, weeding, and tending to restoration plantings. Details here.
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Laguna In the News!
Sonoma West Times and News
“Water Agency grant to Laguna Foundation for Zimpher Creek Restoration Project”
The Bohemian (Best of 2017): “Best Ephemeral Aquatic Experience”
The Press Democrat: "Sonoma County to spearhead plan to restore Laguna de Santa Rosa watershed”
KZST Interview: “Local Partners Receive Grant for Laguna Restoration Plan”
The Press Democrat: "Rain-swollen Laguna de Santa Rosa a playground for kayaks, canoes and hikers."
Sonoma West Times and News: "Learning Laguna lets kids learn, discover in Laguna"
Check Out Our Events!
Join us for fun indoor and outdoor learning adventures. New walks, talks & classes added often!
Full schedule here.
- Reimagining Nature: The Development of Ecological Consciousness in the U.S., talk with Dr. John Smihula, April 27. Details.
- Day of the Child, Open House, April 29. Details.
- Writing the Watershed: Poetry and Prose, workshop with Elizabeth Herron, May 6. Details.
- Delta Pond Rookery Walks, May 7. Details.
- Laguna Environmental Center Open House and CNPS Native Plant Sale, May 13. Details.
- Spring Fling, Hike and Picnic with Denise Cadman, May 19. Details.
- Spring Birding in the Laguna, birding adventure with Lisa Hug, May 21. Details.
- Close-Up and Macro Photography, workshop with Susan and Neil Silverman, June 3. Details.
- Full-Moon Irwin Creek Walk, with Kevin Munroe, June 9. Details.